Friday, May 15, 2009

Five Things on a Friday

1. Contest update. A reminder. This thing, which has become legend, ends at 8 p.m. EST tonight. I've decided that the runner up team will get a signed copy of LAMENT and 5 critiques of the first 5 pages of their mss. Right now, Team Raving Pen is at 61 and Team Babytoaster is at 46.

2. Yesterday, my brother helped me change my spark plugs on Loki for the first time. I've never done spark plugs before. The blister on my thumb is because I went for a V8 instead of a V6 - I swear it wasn't there until spark plug #7. You can see greasy evidence of my labors at write. These hands are skilled, baby!

3. I also mowed the lawn before I talked to my editor on the phone, which caused allergic snot. I don't know what I was thinking. Subconsciously, I must just like having a runny nose when I talk to my editors. Security blanket, I guess. Also, why is it that mowing is so much more satisfying than vacuuming? Anyway, so you'll notice that I look bedraggled but still smiley in the photo on the right. That is because I mowed in 80 degree weather, but I am filled with the glow that only 8 new spark plugs can create.

4. I have a book signing from 1-3 p.m. at the Barnes and Noble in Short Pump, VA tomorrow, which is near a giant mall that is near a organic pizza place. Guess which one I'll be hitting up after the signing? If you guessed the place that involves shoes, do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Anyway. Come see me.

5. An LJ'er has told me that some of the entries to the contest seem a little squiffy. As in, they are posted on new LJ's with no other posts or friends, or on LJs that have been dead for a year, or otherwise sketchy circumstances. I'm not sure what to do about this, as I didn't really specify "don't invent LJs for this contest" or "play nicely, my pets" in the contest rules -- I didn't really expect it to accomplish this scale, at the beginning. So for now, I'm just thinking upon it -- I haven't gone back and looked at every single link yet. The suggestion of foul play makes me Displeased, however, and Displeasing the Future Queen of America has never boded well. Bad things happen to small villages and countries with names people can't remember when the FQoA is enraged.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...