Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday Five: The Win a SHIVER and notes to celebrities edition

1. There is a SHIVER contest running over at my group fiction blog, Merry Sisters of Fate, where I post short fiction twice a month, along with my two crit partners, Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff. Anyway, this week we all wrote stories that were retellings of Apollo & Daphne. The contest is like so: comment on any one of the stories: Brenna's, Tessa's, or mine, and it's a contest entry. Comment on all three for three entries.

2. I'm not sure how it is that hedgehogs came to be the cutest animals alive. But they are.

3. I am seriously considering sending this letter to Matt Costa:

Dear Matt,

I used your song, "Wash Away," to help me write my novel LINGER. I have to have a thematic song to set the mood for my novels, and "Wash Away" was that song. It was so bittersweet and gorgeous that I knew instantly it was The One. For that I am eternally grateful. However, starting on November 1st, I have to write the third and final book in the series, and I'm afraid I cannot reuse "Wash Away." I really need for you to write something else awesome. Hell, you don't even have to release a whole album. I just need a single. I'm not saying that the entire fate of world literacy rests on your shoulders, but the future of werewolf literature probably does.

Please don't make me ask The Bravery.

Your fan,


4. I really, really just might send that to him.

5. And I leave you with the happiest song ever written. "Wake the Sun" by the Matches


ElegantSnobbery said...

That hedgehog is ridiculously adorable.

This is the picture that helps get me through the days when my kids are making me completely crazy and there aren't any baked goods and/or alcohol in the house:

But then it makes me wonder why I didn't just have baby hedgehogs instead of kids :)

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Ohhhhh yes. My husband sent me that picture!

ElegantSnobbery said...

Hey, just thought I'd share in case it interests you... this is how I discovered you as an author -

Back in May I was google-searching fairy fiction and came upon your MSOF site and found this story:

And FLIPPED over it, saw that you had a book out, bought Lament right then and there and waited (very impatiently) for it to arrive in the mail.

I left you an anonymous comment on your LJ the day I finished it. I've never loved a book so much I felt compelled to let the author know, but I really loved Lament!

So that's that. I just wish I had discovered you back when you were selling your colored pencil ACEOs on Ebay - I'm a huge of your art, as well.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Marisa, you don't know how happy that makes me. We're always bantering about whether or not Merry Sisters of Fate actually leads people to our work and . . . it did!

Thank you so much for telling me this. It makes it even more special. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...