Monday, July 20, 2009

The True Meaning of Christmas in July

I think I may go homicidal at any moment.

I am editing LINGER and listening to the station I made for it on Pandora. If you're not familiar with Pandora, it's this brilliant website where you can create a station and tailor the station to your own tastes. You plug in the music that you like and it plays songs it thinks are like that. You further improve its musical taste by giving each song that comes on a thumbs up or a thumbs down. For instance, for my LINGER station, I give Jonas & Plunkett a thumbs up and Radiohead a giant thumbs down dripping with melodrama and apathetic vocals. So it uses musical influences and instrumentation on each track to inform your station.

And it gets pretty good at guessing what you like. I get some great suggestions from it.

However, it has suddenly decided after days of play that it wants to play Christmas music.

Apparently, vocal harmonies + acoustic + indie = elves.

And it's making me a little irate. It's bad enough to hear Christmas music early in the fall. It's worse when you are having to listen to someone sing (with a twang): "born, born, born, born in Bethlawwwhaam, one was a hebrooo, one was a . . . . " in the middle of July. While trying to edit.

I am about to rain down Christmas spirit all over my neighbors. Pandora, you are letting me down. I'm trying to write meaningful prose here, dammit.

"The last time I had been in these woods, surrounded by wolves HO HO HO"

If you see that in LINGER, you know where it came from.

3 comments:

ElegantSnobbery said...

Haha, Pandora playing Christmas music for you... no, it is not funny... but it is kinda funny.

My station WAS playing Radiohead (I'm going to be honest - I thumbs'd them up) but now it has decided that I like 90's pop rap... ?? Not sure where I went wrong. Perhaps its time to start my playlist over again. I think I'll wait until August, though. Skip that Christmas music. Thanks for giving us the heads up. :)

Sheila DeChantal said...

I love Pandora!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

On my other blog, someone suggested that I'm rating too often and making my station too narrow and weird. This sounds like a possibility? They say after you get it pretty much like you like, you should only rate if you really hate or really like something.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...