Friday, August 21, 2009

Winner of the SHIVER Audio Book Contest

Onto the audio book contest. First of all, I clicked on everybody's links and looked at everybody's Sam and Graces. And people. Please! Tom Sturridge is far too edgy to be Sam (although I found the photo of him in a bathtub absolutely hilarious given the circumstances). Sam is an innocent bambi! Anyway. First of all, my picks for Sam and Grace.

For Grace, I'd always thought Dakota Blue Richards, because she'll be the perfect age. But then one of the Very Clever Commentors suggested Rachel Hurd Wood and I thought OH! WAY BETTER GRACE! I like her because she's pretty in a very approachable, plausible, non-Hollywood sort of way, and looks like she could take werewolves in stride.

Dakota Blue Richards (yes, I KNOW she's too young here):

Rachel Hurd Wood:




For Sam, it was harder, because I don't think of him as Hollywood-handsome. In SHIVER, I think I describe him as having a nose a girl couldn't pull off and floppy black hair. And I think I mentioned his heavy lidded eyes. I'm very big on the heavy-lidded eyes for him. Oh, and fuzzy eyebrows. So at first, I was sort of thinking Lee Pace, who is way too old (sorry, Lee, I still think you're very pretty. Just not jailbait age):


then I thought Jim Sturgess from Across the Universe captured Sam's Beatlesesque image, but still too old (again, no offense, Jim, your version of "Girl" still makes me want to remove layers of clothing):

And then I realized that if I made the easy leap from actor to rock star, I was golden. Because I think Alex Turner from the Arctic Monkeys is terribly Sam-like to me. See?

Example 2:

Example 3:




You're feeling it, right? Alex, call my agent . . . oh yeah, and don't get any older, okay?



Anyway. The randomly generated winner of the audio book (only one, there were 48 comments and slightly fewer than that entries) was wandren from LJ -- shoot me an email!

18 comments:

Danielle said...

I love Jim Sturgess and Girl is very enticing... Your other picks are awesome!

Brooke Reviews said...

Oh how I love Lee Pace. He is so freaking gorgeous! I love those eyebrows *swoon*

...MY NAME IS ELENI AND I AM A BOOKAHOLIC... said...

I agree Alex would make a perfect Sam!

a flight of minds said...

LEE PACE! Love him. Those eyebrows are swoon worthy.

- Alex

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Thanks, Daniel! And yes, Alex & Brooke. Eyebrows! He has them! my hubbie has thick eyebrows too, I have a thing for them . . .

And Eleni, you and me both. ;)

Maranda Moser said...

omg i think that ur book is the best!!! it is my fav book of all time. 2 qs r u making this into a movie (if so when) and is there a second book 2 shiver (if so wat is it called)? if there isnt a second book i think u should make one. it should defiantly b of grace n sam n hav it begin where u left off in the end where she finds sam n the woods as a human. PLZZZ reply!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Hi Marranda, so glad you enjoy it -- all your questions are answered here! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Maggie-Stiefvater-Really-its-me/412830324465?v=wall

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Wait, here's a proper link:

here.

Kathryn said...

I love Alex Turner. PERFECT!

Anonymous said...

Alex Turner is sooo amazing if he got any closer to how i though of Sam he'd be imaginary <3 Great pic!!!!

Marie said...

For me Sam is like Luke Pasqualino ♥

Deb said...

I agree with Marie! Luke Pasqualino is definetely the perfect Sam <3

Kimberley parks said...

Lee Pace is gorgeous!

sisterspooky said...

OMG,

i actually gasped when I saw Lee Pace and Jim Sturgess. I LOVE THEM!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think Trace Cyrus minus the tats and piercings would look like Sam if he just used yellow contacts :)

Bracken said...

alex would be perfect for sam and dakota would be perfect for grace =]

Helmi said...

I think, that Alex Turner dont have something special to be Sam. This was MY feelings. I dont know whataya think (ok, everyone expect me wants Alex Turner for Sam)
First time when I was looking photo about Alex Turner, I was think: "Yea, he's just what I have think about Sam." And then when everybody began to propose he, I think what I think now.
I can't propose anyone to be Sam, and believe me, I have looking that.
But yes, Lee Pace! sad, that he's just too old.
And sorry my awful english, lots of typos.

Anonymous said...

Axel Turner would be great as Sam. But I also could imagine Sam Bell (as George Harrison) from the movie "Nowhere Boy" as a good Sam. He also is playing the guitar in a band.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...