Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dear John letter to Matt Costa

Dear Matt Costa,

You may or may not remember that the letter that I sent you in July, letting you know that your song "Wash Away" had basically gotten me through the draft of LINGER. In that letter, I asked politely for you to release another single in time for me to use it for inspiration during my FOREVER drafting days. (I mean my novel titled FOREVER, not that my drafting days go on forever.)(Yes I am seeing about getting more than one-word titles.) In fact, this is what I wrote:

Dear Matt,

I used your song, "
Wash Away," to help me write my novel LINGER. I have to have a thematic song to set the mood for my novels, and "Wash Away" was that song. It was so bittersweet and gorgeous that I knew instantly it was The One. For that I am eternally grateful. However, starting on November 1st, I have to write the third and final book in the series, and I'm afraid I cannot reuse "Wash Away." I really need for you to write something else awesome. Hell, you don't even have to release a whole album. I just need a single. I'm not saying that the entire fate of world literacy rests on your shoulders, but the future of werewolf literature probably does.

Please don't make me ask The Bravery.

Your fan,

Maggie


Well, it is now September, and I am writing FOREVER, and guess who never wrote back?

You.

Oh, Matt, how I mourned my lack of newly-minted Matt musical material through July, August, and the first half of September. I struggled through an anemic draft powered by Band of Horses and My Morning Jacket. During those long weeks, however, Matt, in which you were no doubt kicked back, drinking organic coffee, wearing fashionably wrinkled button downs, and trying to decide whether to hang with Jack Johnson or watch reruns of Dr. Who, not releasing a new single for me, guess who was in the studio?

Oh yeah. The Bravery.

And I didn't even have to ask. They just knew. That's love, Matt. It's anticipating needs before they become needs, Matt. Giving answers before I have time to ask the question. Where's the love, Matt?

So, my dear indie label friend, oh Mr. Pitiful, I am afraid that I must part ways with you for now. That's right, I'm leaving you for my first musical boyfriends, because their album is slated for November.

Just in time for my birthday. Coincidence? I THINK NOT. I know who loves me.

Time Won't Let Me Go,

Maggie

P. S. This is Not the End

4 comments:

ElegantSnobbery said...

Heehee, well his loss and The Bravery's gain. To have multiple novels of yours inspired by their songs... wow! Lucky them.

Too bad Out of Line (my fave) was on a previous album... I can't imagine what kind of novel you could come up with from *that* song, but I'm sure it would be great :)

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

LOL! This makes me want to pick a theme song.

Ella Press said...

OK, loved The Bravery. Just my type of music.
Thank you!

And it's Matt's loss, don't worry about it.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Hey Elegant -- lol. That would not quite be the same as Shiver, that's for sure.

Frankie -- EVERYONE should have a theme song.

Ella - You're welcome!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...