Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Shiver the Movie. Cue the Hyperventilating.

i have been sitting on this news FOREVER (and I don't mean the novel FOREVER). So now I can stop being coy and start hyperventilating instead.

Shiver. The. Movie.

Unique Features picked up the film rights -- they are associated with Warner Brothers -- and this is the official word:

Unique Features has acquired screen rights to "Shiver," a bestselling supernatural romance novel by Maggie Stiefvater that is the first of a three-book series.

Pic will be produced by Unique Features partners Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne.

Book covers a bittersweet paranormal romance between a teen who becomes a wolf each winter and his girlfriend, who helps him find the secret to staying human. The first installment was published by Scholastic Press in August and has been on the bestseller lists for six weeks. The sequel novel, "Linger," will be published next August. Unique acquired all three books in the series.

Shaye and Lynne, who at New Line covered such fantasy and supernatural subject matter as "The Lord of the Rings" and "Blade," sparked to the author's voice, and said they couldn't ignore the grip that otherworldly stories have on young viewers.

"I'm not the biggest werewolf or vampire fan, but the author has a strong take on a young adult sensibility," Shaye said. "It's also a sexy love story that isn't too over the top."

Shaye and Lynne used their discretionary fund to acquire the book in a competitive bidding situation. They will bring it first to Warner Bros., where they have a first-look deal, and will set a writer shortly.

Unique adds "Shiver" to a slate of pic projects that include an adaptation of the Paul McCartney children's book "High in the Clouds," a Barry Levinson-directed adaptation of the musical "City of Angels" and the Broadway-bound musicals "Elf" and "Secondhand Lions."


I will be excited as soon as I start believing it's real.

30 comments:

ElegantSnobbery said...

O.M.G. That is FABULOUS! Wow, you better believe I'll be there in the theater opening night!!

So, how does it feel knowing that you'll most definitely be Queen of the Universe before you even turn 30? :D

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

So Feaking awesome! And they got all three? Amazing! I soooo cannot wait to see Shiver as a movie! Congratulations!!!

Brooke Reviews said...

Maggie! That's so awesome, I can definitely see Sam and Grace love story on the big screen. Congratulations :D

Jessica Kennedy said...

Congrats Maggie!!!! How awesome and I can't imagine how you are feeling!

Keep us posted on any news about the movie! :)

I reviewed Ballad today and I'm hosting a contest for a copy of Ballad.

Jennifer Rose said...

that is wonderful!! :D

Deborah Paris said...

Wow. just WOW.

Angiegirl said...

Holy crap! That is awesome news!! I can't wait, Maggie. *confetti*

Shooting Stars Mag said...

That is AWESOME. I think Shiver will make a great film. Congrats.

-Lauren

Falling Off The Shelf said...

Wow that's awesome! They've been coming out with a lot of books to movies lately. I can't wait to see it!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Thanks, guys! I'm hoping it jumps through all the hoops and gets made!!

Not Hannah said...

Is it wrong that I went, "Sqeeeee!" like a teenager? 'Cause if it is, I don't want to be right. Congratulations, lady.

Danette Haworth said...

Oh My gosh, Maggie--whoa! That's phenomenal! Congratulations!

Ella Press said...

That is AMAZING Maggie!
Congrats!
Can't wait to see the film!!!

Erica said...

That is simply fabulous! I cannot wait for the movie :)

prettyfangirl said...

This news basically completed my life.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Hahahahha!! Now you guys are cracking me up.

Shelli said...

yay!!!!!!

L.J. Boldyrev said...

"Awesome" doesn't even cover it. I seriously need to expand my vocabulary.
Congrats!

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

Absolutely wonderful news! You must be out of your mind excited! Couldn't be happier for you and can't wait to see the movie!

Scarlett said...

yay! Well donneeee! This is so gunna be better than twilight! You're gonna be uber famous girl! xx

adrienne trafford said...

amazing and exciting!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna be keeping my ears open and my eyes peeled for casting calls on this one. I'd really like to be able to audition for a part in this film. If it ever happens

Kelsey said...

Awesome! Ever since I first read Shiver, it's been my dream to play Grace in the movie version. I know that you don't have any part in the casting process, but do you have any idea how to audition or who to contact? I'm sorry to bother you with this, but I didn't know who else to go to with this.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Audition details please? I want to be cast as Olivia or some other brunette...maybe even Grace (if I'm allowed to dye my hair or wear a wig...)! Contact me at: artistabrain@gmail.com please! :)

Anonymous said...

wow that is amazing maggie! i will definetly be watching for casting calls if there is any way that will be availibal in chacago please let me know at jackthepumpkinkingkriho@gmail.com thank you! i would like to be grace or isabell i love her charecter in linger man. but i have no experience im trying to get into chiarts so i will have some maybe! :D

Anonymous said...

WTF! I cannot wait! when will it be out??? :D I might be a guy but I love the book...(I am not gay or nothing) *thank you best friend for screaming at me to read the books!* (thinking to myself there...LOVE THEM! :D WAYYYY BETTER THAN TWILIGHT! and I LOVVVVE TWILIGHT! big praise...WHOOOOP! :D :D :D :D !!! !!! !!! !!! CANNOT WAIT! WHEN! WHEN! WHEN! :D :D :D :D CRAZZZZY! YAYY! :)

-Alexander...

P.S. LOVE THEM! :D :*
P.P.S. WHEN?
P.P.P.S. please reply. :D
P.P.P.P.S. YAYY!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Ha, Alexander -- so glad you enjoy them!

I'm sorry, guys, that I really, really, truly do not have any say in the casting or any audition details, so your pleas fall on deaf ears!

Allyson said...

I so badly would want to be in that movie... That is so awesome!! I'm already excited to see it!! And yes, I did only just see this... 2 years after it was posted. :P

Brittannie Duncan said...

If you make shiver into a movie i would love to play as Grace.Ever since i read shiver ive been addicted to all the books there so diffrent than any other book ive read.but if you do make it a movie message me on twitter @skylerdemera2647.It would be a honor playing as Grace,i wont let you down if i get the role.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...