Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Numbers Post

Okay, so since I'm using up all my letters on NaNo, I'm going to do a numbers post before I head off to AASL in Charlotte, NC, today. (Kindly pray that my head doesn't explode while on the plane since my sinuses are all clogged). So here are the rundowns on some numbers currently influencing my life:

Age I'll be on my next birthday, Nov 18: 28

Number of e-mails I received and replied to in October: 4,165
number of e-mails from Scholastic in Oct: 47
number of e-mails from my agent in Oct: 24

Word count for my NaNo novel so far: 6,673

Number of LiveJournal comments replied to in Oct: 389

Number of my husband's tropical fish I killed in October: 11*

Number of friends added on Facebook in October: 306

Number of harp strings I strung by hand last week: 32

Number of messages received on Facebook in October: 105

Number of wall posts received on Facebook in October: 646

Number of nostrils a human breathes through at any given time: 1**

Number of weeks SHIVER has been on the NYT Bestseller List: 14

Number of people living on the smallest of the Scilly Isles: 90

Days on the road for SHIVER in October: 12

Hours of driving logged in Loki: 11

Number of giant snails featured on my blog: 2

*I did not mean to kill his fish. I merely added some water at a perfect 72 degrees to the tank. And they came over all dead-like the next day. And the day after. And the day after that. And the day after that.
**I discovered this while looking up remedies for stuffed up nose (saltwater rinse works awesome, by the way). A person only breathes through one nostril at a time (put your finger 1/2 inch under your nose to see which nostril you're using), and which side is dominated by the hemisphere of the brain that is currently active. Left brain: right nostril. Right brain: left nostril. Unless you're stimulating your brain to use one side of the other, each hemisphere dominates in cycles that last from two to four hours. You can also clarify your thinking and balance your brain by using the yoga technique of pinching one nostril shut and breathing out of one side and then the other a few times. Cool, yes? Okay, so it's not. but now you've learned something against your will.

And now, number of bags I'm off to pack for my flight? 1


ElegantSnobbery said...

I just tried out the nostril test and practically hyperventilated... I'm not too bright, clearly. But I did learn that I'm right nostril dominant. How exciting. :D

and yikes, I get about 6 emails a day and that is enough for me... I don't know how you do it!!

PS, 14 weeks as a NYT! WOW!

ElegantSnobbery said...

Um... meant to write:

14 weeks as a NYT BESTSELLER! WOW!

Kinda loses its oomph when the bestseller part of the comment is left off.

Jessica Kennedy said...

Wow. Way to track down the numbers!

"but now you've learned something against your will." <---- Awesome!


Laughing Stars said...

You are making amazing progress on NaNoWriMo! And I am excited for you on Shiver's 14 weeks on the NYT bestseller list. Enjoy your hard-earned and well-deserved success.

Not Hannah said...

The nostril thing is one of the most bizarrely awesome thing I've ever read. Although I'm pretty sure I'll be obsessing over which one I'm using for the rest of the day.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Hee hee. See, I'm glad, now, to see I'm not the only one fascinated by the nostril thing. I mean, man, my sneaky body doing things without my knowledge all this time, like breathing out of only one nostril.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...