Tuesday, January 12, 2010


I'm sorry to say that this post is going to have a million photos.

Today, my cat Moose died suddenly and unexpectedly. Moose was my muse and my model for dozens of paintings when I was a professional artist; I had folks emailing asking to be told when the next Moose piece was going to be available. When I took out my camera, he would come running and pose for me. He paid the rent so many times I lost count. He also peed on my bed when he was mad.

It's going to be hard writing FOREVER without him smashed uncomfortably into the chair behind me. I'm still working out how I'm going to manage it. But I'm not going to go on and on, just show some of what Moose left behind.

Moose, I'd say that I hope you know we loved you, wherever you are, but I know you knew it. I miss you and wish you were still here to pee on my bed.

Casual Observer

Cat in a Rug

Blue Boy

Guess Who?

The Painter's Cat

Not So Still Life with Sunflower

Chairs that Bite

Check Contents Carefully

Dead Tired


Nature Lover


portrait of the artist as a young cat

COD Cat on Delivery

Short Term Relationship

Cat in the Bag

Morning Dip

Loosely Packaged

Yin Yang

Can I Help You

Threes a Crowd

Contents May Have Settled

Heavy Sleeper

Feeding with the Enemy

Manmade Tiger

Window Shopping

This Seats Taken

The Odd Couple

Cat in a Bowler Hat

Bite Between Friends


Cast Your Eyes Up context

Do Not Disturb

stop and smell the . . .


Strung Out

Vitruvian Cat

License and Registration

Not a Morning Person


Last Thing You See

Dinner easel

Good bye, my young friend. Six years wasn't long enough.


prettyfangirl said...

So very, very sorry to hear this. There really are no words when we lose our pets...

Kristi said...

I'm so sorry, Maggie. As someone who has both human and canine children, I can't imagine losing my pups. My thoughts are with you -- and your portraits/pictures are wonderful!

Wendy said...

Oh God Maggie, I'm so sorry. I remember him as an ickle wee guy causing trouble. I know how much he meant to you and he was quite a cat (love the photo of him with the Geordie and LeRoy painting at the bottom! LeRoy is gone now too).

So very sorry, I'm shedding a tear for him, he was a special boy.

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

So sorry, Maggie!!!

Catherine Denton said...

Ohh, so sad. I hate that for you. This is a moving tribute for Moose.

Not Hannah said...

I'm so sorry.

proseandkahn said...

What a gorgeous tribute to a beautiful cat. My condolences. I've lost a few amazing companions myself and it sure does hurt.

Andrew Karre said...

So sorry, Maggie.

Deborah Paris said...

Very sorry to hear this Maggie.

Jessica Kennedy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( What amazing paintings of him!

I hope you and your family cherish the memories of him.

ElegantSnobbery said...

Aw, Maggie, so sorry for your loss!!

A Novel Woman said...

I'm so sorry you lost Moose. What a sweet, comical character he was, from what I can see in your beautiful paintings. It's always hard, isn't it, but it's the price we pay for having them in our lives.

Belinda Del Pesco said...

I'm so sorry, Maggie. He was so young. I think our pets never really leave us... we carry them around in our hearts. Perhaps this is especially true for Moose, since you've captured him so beautifully, in so many lovely pieces of your work. He'll be young and mischievous forever now. Heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Donna Gambale said...

So sorry, Maggie. Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

Anna N. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Moose. My cat Asimov died unexpectedly last year at age 4, I know how hard it is. Your paintings captured his personality wonderfully.

WildIrishRose33 said...


briansplicing_chick said...

*hugs* I felt so bad when I read this that I wrote a post about how sad it is. I have a cat called Joey and I cannot image life without him. He, you see, is my muse as well. Wah! Awesome pets shouldn't die.

Solvang Sherrie said...

Beautiful, beautiful paintings! How wonderful that you have those precious reminders of your beloved pet.

Chris Eldin said...

Beautiful, heartfelt paintings. I'm so sorry for your loss...

Sue said...

So sorry to hear this Maggie, I felt as though I knew him through your paintings. He will be missed.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...