Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ticking Sounds. I Loves 'Em.

Because I am too lazy to write a blog post today before working on FOREVER, I thought I would instead let some pictures do the talking for me. Pictures = worth 1000 words, so this is a 5,000 word blog post. That's actually how I'm writing FOREVER too. Boy O Boy is Editor Mix Tape going to be thrilled when he gets a file comprised only of 90 photographs of me building snow wolves.

So, earlier this week, Jackson Pearce posted a video talking about how authors really needed laser printers (I am in the video. Spot the Maggie.)(she also has mucho other wise writing advice in it.) so I feel compelled to reply with my own WHAT EVERY WRITER NEEDS post. And here it is.

Every writer needs a:
teapot timer

They come in different styles. I prefer this one, which reminds me of my caffeine addiction.

teapot teapot

They keep you from:

teapot email

and:

teapot blogs

and of course:

teapot space penguin

(don't scratch your head like that. You know, Space Penguin!)

Anyway, go get one. I use them for writing -- while it's ticking, I can't do anything but write! -- and for procrastinating -- while it's ticking, this time, I can't do anything but procrastinate! -- and for word warring with Blood Bunny, my crit partner.

Have I steered you wrong before?

12 comments:

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

OMG Im starting to realize I totally need a timer, ugh! Also you look waaaaay cute in all of your pictures. SQUEEE for FOREVER writing. Can't wait to read Linger!

Catherine Denton said...

I couldn't live without my timer! My family knows to leave it alone because if it gets lost; I'm a vegetable. On the couch. In pajamas. Something about that little ticking noise keeps me moving.

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

What a concept!! We have timers all over the house to keep The Boy from Wii-ing himself to death or actually entering the world of Wizard 101. I may have to comandeer a timer!

I can see it now...ten minutes for writing, ten minutes for architecture, ten minutes to GET DRESSED FOR A CHANGE, etc.

Not Hannah said...

We live and die by the timer in our house. One's going right now to help my little girl finish her milk. Although she's actually pretending it's a robot right now. Heh. Probably time to get off the computer...

Deborah Paris said...

Fantastic idea, Maggie! I'm a professional artist, not a writer (I seem to begin every comment to your blog with that qualification), but a timer for the studio is a GREAT idea! Also, I have to say the video (yes, I did spot you) contains wonderful advice which also applies to "making it" as an artist. There is a lot of crossover. In fact, early on Annie Dillard (The Writing Life) was my "go to" for advice- yes, I know that dates me terribly. Oh well...

Suzanne said...

Ooooh, sweet idea! My kiddies use one for piano practice, but I've never thought to use it for my writing time. I shall snag it from the piano room immediately...

Donna Gambale said...

Ok, by the time I got to Reading Blogs and Playing Space Penguin I laughed out loud. You're hilarious. Keep those crazy eyed pictures coming!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Ha, now I'm going to have to check out Space Penguin. Like I needed another distraction :)

Ella Press said...

i don't think i could write with a ticking sound beside me, i'd go mad!

Shelli Cornelison said...

No, No, NO! The sound of anything ticking activates my latent homicidal gene. Homicide would probably make my memoir more interesting, but I'm not writing my memoir - yet. How could I? I haven't even checked out space penquin yet!

ElegantSnobbery said...

Haha, cracks me up. But I'm a notorious clock smasher (if it ticks, and I'm half awake, there's a 95% chance I'll smash it before I realize what I'm doing... stupid. I've broken many a good watch and even more brand new alarm clocks). I have no idea how you do it!!

And Space Penguin?? *sigh* I really didn't need another distraction.

*off to see what the heck Space Penguin is*

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Deborah, I find huge parallels between my old pro art life and my writing life ALL THE TIME, so I hear you.

And when the timer ticking becomes inaudible to me, that's how I know that I'm in the zone. When I can hear it, it means I'm not writing so well . ..

Also, I write with music on, so it's not just silence and TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK CAPTAIN HOOK TICK TICK TICK.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...