Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Final Adventures of The Sharpie Guitar

The Sharpie Guitar - detail of houndOkay, the Sharpie Guitar is now done, I think. Some folks had requested detail pics, so here they are . . .

For those just tuning into the program, yes, this is my old $400 Fender guitar that I've had since college. The one seen in this video. I used three Sharpie markers (they didn't so much dry up as go wonky) and two evenings. First evening, I was roasting my butt by an open fire after writing a lovely and angsty scene on FOREVER. Second evening, I was watching one of the early Harry Potter movies, with commericals, and adding the horse.

I did it freehand, because I'm wild and crazy that way. Also because I believe that in a lot of creative aspects of our lives, we overthink things and can really just dive in.

Sometimes (and this is when I'm giving meaningful eyeballs at Several Members of the Viewing Audience here, of both the writing and drawing variety) you just need to trust yourself and GET STARTED.

That is all.


The Sharpie Guitar - detail of horse


The Sharpie Guitar - detail of harpist


The Sharpie Guitar

15 comments:

Anissa said...

Your range of talent amazes me. Gorgeous!

Sarah said...

It's so impressive. You could probably sell these.

Suzanne said...

Very cool. Harry Potter with commercials will inspire you like that... =)

Amelia Robinson said...

O.O

Ho-ly fudge.

MAN! I wish I could draw like that! I am absolutely convinced that being able to draw would greatly simplify my life. *nods*

Absolutely well done. :) I agree with Sarah, you could *definitely* sell this, but you shouldn't. It's fantastic and special. :)

-Amelia

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

I freakin love it!!! It's awesome! So beautiful.

Elise said...

That's amazing! I love that it was freehand! You are correct, we so often over think things and should just dive it.

storyqueen said...

Maggie, it's perfect. I knew that little harp dude was summoning (or conjuring, take your pick) something with his music.

Shelley

Crystal Cook said...

I love that horse! I am so glad you added it(not that it's my guitar or anything, but it rocks!). And I just need to tell you that you inspire me, probably said it before but really you do, I'm so glad I picked up Shiver, LOVED it, found your blog and all the wonderful, kick butt, advice you give on creativity. How bout that for a run-on sentence? You deserve all the success you have worked so hard for :)

Vicky said...

I think that is the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen! How awesome that you have such talent in so many areas!

Eero said...

Beautiful!

Donna Gambale said...

I saw a pic of this on Facebook, and I'm so happy you posted more! Gorgeous.

And I finished Linger on Saturday and, um... would like Forever now, thanks. Why couldn't it have been a badly-written letdown so that I'm not tortured for the next God knows how many months?! Why, Maggie?

:)

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Thank you, guys! Crystal, I'm so, so glad to inspire. :)

And Sarah & Amelia, maybe one day I'll auction it off and give the proceeds to people who have killed brain cells with Sharpie inhalation. ;)

Donna, ooooh, exciting! :) I'm sooo glad that you didn't hate it.

Solvang Sherrie said...

Holy smokes, that is SO cool!

Christine Danek said...

Beautiful work! Very cool!

Patrick said...

This looks great!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...