Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words in Miscellaneous Languages

One of the things that has been most revoltingly exciting about SHIVER is the huge amount of foreign interest (doesn't that make it sound like an oil spill?). There are over thirty foreign editions of SHIVER slated to come out in the next year, and I love seeing what they do with the covers. There are also a handful of foreign LAMENT and BALLADs coming out. It occurs to me that I haven't shared these in awhile, so here we go:

Bulgarian edition of SHIVER

Bulgarian. LOVE.

Spanish Edition of SHIVER

Spanish. Check out that blood spatter. That's an important artery, right there.

French Shiver Frisson Cover

French. They managed to work pink in there, which I think only the French could pull off.

Italian edition of SHIVER

Italian. I've shown you this one before but I love it too much not to show it again. Check out the GRAAWLSNARL SCRATCHES!

Swedish edition of SHIVERHungarian edition of SHIVERDutch edition of SHIVER

Swedish. Hungarian. Dutch. Because sometimes you just can't improve upon perfection.

German Edition of Ballad

German BALLAD. I really love the light colored doodli-doos in the dark areas.

Spanish Edition of Lament

The biggest version of the Spanish cover for LAMENT I can find. It looks cool and stabby, no?

A full list of foreign editions is here. And if you happen to spot any foreign covers that I haven't posted yet, I always appreciate getting sent the link! :)


Vicky said...

Ooo. I love the French and Spanish versions of Shiver. Gorgeous.

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

French and Bulgarian ftw! Gorgeous, I'll need to collect if I travel.

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

My word verification was gorgesis...must mean gorgeous in some language, right?

ElegantSnobbery said...

OMG, I want that Bulgarian one just so I can oooh and aaaaah over it all the time. SO lovely!

And weird... that girl on the cover of German Ballad looks almost 100% exactly like my friend Starr.

Crystal Cook said...

I love the French one, but they are all so amazing! I really like the Bulgarian one too, and Ballad. . . I could go on:)

Donna Gambale said...

Ok, Bulgarian = awesome... but the girl's outfit seems a wee bit too girly/drama queen for Grace. But I forgive them because of Sam's yellow eyes!

Spanish -- will we be seeing this blood spatter O in book 3's US cover? I kind of also like the Swedish use of punctuation for a non-i word.

I like the French's take on the font! I'm not a pink person, though.

Italian - I love that the heart is the whole finger-drawing-on-condensation thing. Though it reminded me of Lavender and Won Won, which gave me such a giggle fit.

Thanks for sharing! And I seriously want to collect some of these. You luck out with the Shiver covers!

Catherine Denton said...

Wow! What fun covers.
Winged Writer

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Hee. Yes, I love the Bulgarian although the girl is rather too Evanescence for Grace. Maybe a Bulgarian Grace would be more fashion conscious.

Frankie, clearly gorgesis is gorgeous in Bulgarian or something.

And Donna, I have no idea what they're doing with the blood spatter on the last one. I think I may give the designer a heart attack by not naming it WHISPER or something sexy with an i.

Aye.Me? said...

All the covers are so beautiful!!!

I'm considering learning Italian just so that I have an excuse to buy the Italian version of Shiver! :)

By the way, to me foreign interest sounds like something you might earn on an overseas bank account. :)

Suzanne said...

Most of these I love... so exotic and yummy. That first Bulgarian one is very cool. Pale girl in a backless dress, sitting sadly in the trees. Love.

The only one I'm not sure about is "Lamento"... which just kinda brings to mind a dagger-wielding breath mint. Refreshing and dangerous? Si.

Sara McClung ♥ said...

I love the Italian one!! The scratch marks are so cool :-)

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Oooh, Aye, yes, foreign interest sounds good when you put it that way!

And of course a pale girl in a backless dress would be sad when faced with Snow.

Also, I don't think LAMENTO is a real word.

Shelli said...

do you have a copy of each one? that would be fun!

Solvang Sherrie said...

It's cool to see how they interpret the covers in each edition. I love the Bulgarian and Italian ones. And the German version of Lament is made of awesome too.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Shelli, yes, I get sent at least one copy of each, which means that with 32 editions, I will have a shelf full of Shiver!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...