Monday, March 8, 2010

FOREVER (is how long it took to announce this deal)

2010 Author Photo, Batch 1Okay, it's weird that I can only announce this now, because the deal was actually made months and months and months ago last year, but now it's FINALLY official (and I always thought, for some reason, that I was bad at keeping secrets. Guess I am better than I thought).

This is the deal memo from today's PM:

Maggie Stiefvater's FOREVER, the final book in the bestselling SHIVER trilogy, plus three new stand-alone fantasy titles, to David Levithan at Scholastic, in a major deal, for publication summer 2011, by Laura Rennert at Andrea Brown Literary Agency (world).


The longer one from PW:

David Levithan at Scholastic Press paid a sum the house described as “near seven figures” for world rights to four new books by 28-year-old Maggie Stiefvater. The deal, which Levithan struck with agent Laura Rennert of the Andrea Brown Agency, includes Forever, which will be the last book in the author's Shiver trilogy, as well as three forthcoming stand-alone YA fantasy novels. Stiefvater's current series, a paranormal love story that pulls a page from Romeo & Juliet with one twist being that the male object of affection is a werewolf* ** ***, kicked off with August 2009's Shiver; that title has gone on to spend 28 weeks on the Times bestseller list. Scholastic is publishing Linger, the second title in the series, in July, and planning Forever for summer 2011. Scholastic has also drawn strong foreign attention to Shiver, having sold it in 32 languages to date, and Warner Brothers has optioned the film rights.


AND I thought I was going to be able to tell you about what my next book after FOREVER actually was. Because I'm super excited about it and have been pretty much busting to talk about it since the deal was signed.

Only, turns out that's another secret too. I'm getting really good at these things.

Pretty much the only thing I can show you that you is my new unofficial author photos that I took over the weekend.

I know, I know. Does it make it any better that I'll be posting about query letters later today?



2010 Author Photo, Batch 1 square

*Another twist being that Sam's and Grace's families don't hate each other.

** Another, 'nuther twist being that neither protagonists commits suicide at the end.

*** Another, 'nother, other twist being that the only thing it has in common with Romeo and Juliet is that it involves teen kissing.

33 comments:

Jennzah said...

im interested to see the Query letter post. very, very interested. :) and you're awesome, of course you have more books that have sold. :) congrats, Maggie! :)

Francesca said...

Congrats Maggie! I can't wait to read Linger first and Forever in 2011! :)

Jami said...

Very exciting news Maggie! You must be good at secrets to keep this news locked up! I am super excited about Linger and Forever and also to see your stand alone novels! :)

L.J. Boldyrev said...

Fantastic! I'm so excited for you! :D And the author photos look great. Congrats, Maggie!!!! *squeeeee!*

Lynsey Newton said...

Congratulations Maggie, if I could pre-order them now I would (but you have to write them first!) Sooo excited to see what your next project will be and I know you will tell us when you can! And for the record, I like your new photos and no you don't look like a hunchback :P

storyqueen said...

W,O.W.

Congratulations! You deserve all your success.

Shelley

Love the pictures.

Lenore said...

Oh yay! Congrats on the great deal :) I am super excited that we are getting so many new novels from you!

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

OMG congrats!!! Love the footnotes. I've read that comparison before and was like huh?

It feels like I've been waiting FOREVER to read LINGER ;) I hate this yr long wait in between books :(

Mel

Melissa said...

Amazing!! Congratulations!

Sarah Bromley said...

Congratulations! I'm anxiously waiting for the new books!

Elisabeth Black said...

Congratulations! Wow!!! Yay!

Savi said...

Yes! Congrats Maggie (even though it's not 'news' to you and only us)! I'm really excited to hear about your upcoming projects but I can be a patient person -for now-!

P.S. I feel like a Viking who won the biggest battle of all, I convinced my Twilight thumping friends and family that Shiver is NOT the same and stands strong on it's own as a fantastic story. One by one they caved and now all they talk about is Linger and the continuation of Sam and Grace's story. Go me! errr wait, go you!!!!

C.J. Redwine said...

Yay!! Very excited for you. :)

Erica said...

Woo Hoo!! Congrats!! Those are fabulous pics ;o) Can't wait to see the query!

TL Sumner said...

Congratulations!!! I can't wait to read all the upcoming books. You are an amazing writer and so inspiring.

Book Addict Girl said...

WOO HOO! Congrats, Maggie! Can't wait to read it all.

P.S. I love your pictures.

Fantastic Book Review said...

Congrats Maggie! I'm so excited for you! I'm glad there's more to come and can't wait to read your upcoming books!

Victoria said...

You are so funny with the twists. Congratulations on the upcoming books.

Anonymous said...

Yay, it's official! I can't wait to read Shiver's sequels and the upcoming fantasy standalones (I can't wait for news on what THOSE are about!). Congrats on all these deals. You're a wonderful writer who deserves the recognition. Here's hoping that this news will give more attention to your already-published books Shiver, Lament, and Ballad! :)

Hope Scholastic treats you and your literary children right. ;)

Solvang Sherrie said...

Wow! Very cool! And um, yeah, Romeo & Juliet? Not so much :)

bandana1 said...

Fantastic!

Kelly Lyman said...

Awesomejawsome, Maggie! So happy for you!!! You must be on cloud 9 (especially now that you no longer have to keep this good news a secret!)

Alison said...

Amazing news! Congratulations!

The pictures are great too!

Shannon Messenger said...

Wow--congratulations. I'm excited for you, but also for me. More awesome books to read from you! That's the best news ever!

DJ said...

Congratulations and the photos look great!

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

:D Awesomesauce! You deserve ice cream!

loreleimarsh said...

Woo hoo! You deserve it! I can't wait to see what you've got cooking for us. :D

Jessica Kennedy said...

Congrats on the deal! And the pics are lovely! Can't wait to hear more about these upcoming novels!

Donna Gambale said...

Yayyy! And though I'm already dying for Forever, I'm really really excited for seeing what you come up with for those stand-alones. And anytime you feel the need to tell a secret... I'm Fort Knox. :)

Romeo & Juliet? Really PW?

Love the use of color in the author photos. They're very chill and down-to-earth, but I always see mischief in your eyes!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

THANK YOU GUYS!

And thanks, Donna. :) About the photos.

alybee said...

OMG! OMG! OMG! This is absolutely wonderful news. And the photos rock.

tiffany98 said...

OMG thats so great! congrats! Plus great pics!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Thank you (belatedly) guys!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...