Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In Bologna, Nobody Eats Condoms

So I am slaphappy and posting live from Bologna, Italy! After spending two days meeting publishers at the Book Fair, staying up until 11 eating good food with great people, I have discovered a few things:

1. Apparently, there is no word for "Linger" in many foreign languages. Such as Dutch. The Dutch never stand still, apparently, and therefore have no need of the word. This makes translating the title of "Linger" into Dutch complicated. Likewise, the Croats do not linger either. Stay tuned. 

2. In Italy, according to our fearless driver, red stop lights are "opinion, not fact."

3. Some words have multiple meanings. Scholastic, aware that I'm allergic to preservatives, kindly got someone to translate the phrase "I can only eat food without preservatives" into Italian. They warned me, however, as they taught me how to say it, that the Italian word for "preservatives" is the same as the word for "condom." So that I should be careful how I look when I say it.

Thanks. So everyone will know I can't eat food with condoms, which is pretty true of most people, I think.

However, that said, I haven't had to use the phrase, as Italy is pretty darn preservative free and I'm sort of enjoying this walking-into-a-restaurant-and-eating-anything-I-want-watching-my-waistline-expand thing.

So that is the news from the front. More to come. I am off to do things involving cocktails and Shaun Tan. Oh yes I am.


Book Addict Girl said...

LOL! Omg, I almost choked on diet dr. pepper. Perservatives = condoms? *dies*

BrittLit said...

How exciting. Although the title you picked for this post, almost makes it sound as though it is an odd thing that they in fact do not eat condoms in Italy.

Anonymous said...

Hehe. I would have literally SNORTED if somebody had told me, in serious conversation, that the Italian language uses the same word as "preservatives" for the word "condoms"; I would have worried that they were playing a "let's fool the foreigner" joke on me. Wow, you learn something new every day. XD

Sounds fun. Keep us updated about your trip (if you're not too busy). ;D

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

Okay, I think this post wins the prize for funniest blog title ever. And I wonder if it's not a coincidence that the words are the same. Do condoms have some sort of preserving power in Italy that they don't over here? :)

And your driver's attitude toward stoplights is definitely the norm in Italy. I've never been more convinced I was going to die than driving on an Italian freeway. *shudders*

Thanks for the update on your trip. Glad you're having a great time!

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

OMG that is hilarious! Keep the updates coming, Maggie!

Ella Press said...

In Spanish, perservatives = condoms too.
Have fun on the rest of your trip!

BeaMGlez. said...

Yeeaahh... I'm from Spain, and yes, preservatives = condoms
(preservativos = condones)
It's not a big deal! LOL!

Italy must be AWESOME! I'm so near.. but I can't go! :(
You're very lucky, have fun Maggie!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Sounds like a wonderful time at the book fair. I want to visit Italy some day.

I spent a summer in Spain and I was continually amazed by the words I knew in Spanish that were different in Spain. Even Central American Spanish is different from Spain Spanish, I guess like England and America.

Amparo Ortiz said...

This post just made my day... No condoms in food for me, either!

Alison's Book Marks said...

NO! LOL I think the "translator" from Scholastic is messing with you, Maggie! :)

By the way, I saw a video of your reading an excerpt from Shiver in NYC last Friday. You looked like you were having a lot of fun! I'm so sorry I missed you.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

I am afraid that the word is literally "sausage casing" (I have been informed). Use you imagination . . .

And I was having fun, Alison!!

Denise said...

LOL. Be careful! Hope you are having a great time!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...