Wednesday, March 10, 2010

In Continuation of the Week's Theme of OMG . . .

So. . . I know I said on Monday I wasn't good at keeping secrets. And this is true, I'm still really impatient and want to give Christmas presents as soon as I get them. But, that said, I've had a lot of practice lately. I get great news, I freak out, and then I can tell nobody until it's official. (except maybe Lover, Tessa, and Brenna, because they are also good at keeping secrets on my behalf).

Anyway.

So I know this week's blogging has been sort of one OH HEY LOOK SURPRISE REVEALED! after another, but . . . uh, look at this: 


That would be Bologna (not my photo). As in, Italy. As in, way back in December, I got a phone call from Editor Mixtape. Like so:

Me: Yo.
Mixtape: Hey. What are you doing from March 23-26?
Me: I'm guessing the correct answer would be "nothing."
Mixtape: Correct. Want to go to Italy?
Me: #$%^ing Italy?
Mixtape: Yes, that one.

Turns out that that's when the Bologna Children's Book Fair is, when a ton of foreign rights folks all get together and talk in lots of languages to each other and sell books. And Scholastic wanted to know if I could come.

The answer to that question, in case you are ever faced with it, is "yes." Possibly with fewer swear words in front of it than I used.

So next week (holy cow, holy smokes, great fiery balls of smoking popcorn), right after the NYC Teen Author Festival, me and Lover are getting on a plane and going to Italy. ITALY. Where I'll be meeting several dozen of my 30 foreign publishers.

Thirty foreign publishers.

Sure, heck yeah, that sounds normal. I just happen to be living in this world where my book is being published in 30 countries and it's been on the NYT Bestsellers list for 30 weeks and I fly to Italy and the UK and people in the grocery store recognize my last name. Sure, that's normal.

Actually, what happens is that every day these things hit me like a bag of bricks and I can't believe it. That is what is normal in the Stiefvater household. My eyes bugging out daily.

So. Anyway. I guess I'm going to Italy. I actually never really thought this was even an option to want, back when I was writing SHIVER. Also, I never really thought I'd be the sort of girl able to not talk about something like this for almost three months. Guess all kinds of surprising things are going down.

15 comments:

seaheidi said...

You're a super star, baby!!
Italy is the best place on the planet. (Outside of Paris, that is.)
Have a blast!!!! And Lover is coming too?! Extra fun!

loreleimarsh said...

Congratulations! Or felicitazioni! Hehe. You're going to have a ball and take Italy by storm. You deserve it!

Ella Press said...

Italy? WOW! That's amazing! And 30 foreign publshers? Oh, I do hope Shiver's released in Argentina! It's released in Spain, but it can take years for those books to actually get here, it's a pain in the butt.

Have fun, and can't wait to see some pics!

Crystal Cook said...

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Have the best time ever, and you totally deserve it :) I know I just repeated what the other two comments just said, but they said it so well! Happy week for you!

SJDuvall said...

How exciting!! Congrats! Enjoy it all, you deserve it!

kitty cat said...

Oh wow so U and lover off to Italy, and to meet 30 Publishers, How exciting, Dont forget the pics Maggie ! Have fun xo

kay_fraser said...

My Boss is going to the book fair too!! It should be a lot of fun!! Take pictures and please people watch by drawing them in the streets.
I heard that show is pretty amazing... I'm dying to go maybe in a couple years, when i turn a bit more gray.
Cheers mags congrats!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Now that's a nice perk! How fun!

dawn-metcalf said...

Can I just say SQUEE-HEE-HEE-HEE!

I'm *so* thrilled for you, bug-eyed girl! Soak up the kudos in 30 languages, y'hear?!

Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations! :D I don't know which is better: the book fair or just Italy itself. The combo sounds heavenly, though. X3 (One of the most romantic countries in the world and a fair filled with some of the most romantic stories in the world -- match made in heaven, definitely!)

Better brush up on some witty Italian phrases. ;) You're often witty enough in English, though, so you'll do fine. No pressure! You're a guest, so enjoy it!

(The musts: eat an AUTHENTIC pizza and ride on a gondola. Those would be on my must-do list in Italy. XD)

Francesca said...

I'm so happy for you! I guess you'll meet French editor of Shiver series. :)

Luna said...

You're going to the UK, too ? Or are you just transferring there ? If you are and attending an event, I should see if I can make it.

Victoria

Donna Gambale said...

That's fantastic! I'm thrilled for you!

Lynsey Newton said...

Wow, this is fantastic news for you! Hope the Italians love you (I KNOW they will). Of course, I'm slighly more excited at the news that you're coming to the UK *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Thank you, guys!! And Luna, yes, in October!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...