Friday, April 2, 2010

A Decade of Letterheads

I am going to post about Bologna later on today after I've finished a few more scenes, but I just had a really weird little moment and had to blog about it.

I have one thousand things on my desk right now, and one of them is a small stack of books from an editor who's hoping I'll love one of them enough to put a quote from me on the front. And on top of this stack is a note on that imprint's letterhead saying "thanks! hope you love them!" or something to that effect.

Anyway, looking at that note and just catching the letterhead out of the corner of my eye gave me a weird squeeze of nerves in my stomach, just like it used to when I was a new bambi writer, sending hopeful manuscripts off to publishers. I'd include an SASE for both the manuscript and for just a letter in case they loved it. Seeing that letterhead just now reminds me of those days of getting a slender envelope back from publishers and sitting breathlessly in my little half-dead Audi in the parking lot of the post office and opening the envelope, hoping against hope it would say anything better than "Dear Author, thank you for thinking of us, but no dice."

There was always that tight moment of anticipation and hope as I slid out the reply on publisher letterhead.

And now I have one of those coveted letterheads sitting on my desk under a stack of books that an editor asked me to look at. And it was such a strange reversal that . . . I dunno. Life is weird. I wish I could've gone back and told that 18-19-20-21 year old Maggie opening letters that one day, it would be like this.

11 comments:

Jenny said...

Aw how awesome! Im so happy for you, you are a great writer!!!

Aimee said...

Maaan, that almost gave me a frog. I hope my future holds those little gems.

Crystal Cook said...

What a great moment for you :) I'm just so happy for you, you really are a great writer.

I'm reading Shiver again and I just have to tell you (I know you hear it all the time) how much I love that book. Your writing is so beautiful and just full of emotion. It's one of my all time faves.

And I didn't comment on your "eye" post, but I think you look pretty smokin cool with those babies on. I wear glasses and like to think that I do too. he, he.

tmthomas said...

Yet another reason to hate you. /kidding.

Andrea Cremer said...

I teared up a little at this post. Thanks for sharing, Maggie :)

Anonymous said...

This burned my eyes in a good way. Congratulations on all the success your hard work is reaping! I love your stories:)

I'm at the post office now, although I call it the virtual office, sorting through less tangible mail. "Thanks, but no thanks" feels just as heartbreaking without the envelope and letter head:(

Thank you for sharing the hope!

apocalypticbob said...

This made me grin ear-to-ear! Your success brings me glee!!

Amber

SJDuvall said...

Beautiful. Thank you for that, I definitely needed it today.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the 18-19-20 year old Maggie would have believed you if you were able to share what you know now. Enjoy every single moment of your success!

O. said...

You and your story are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Sigh. Thank you guys, for the wonderful comments. I really am glad, O., that it's inspiring.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...