Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Children Are Weird Animals

The other day, my kids, Thing 1 & Thing 2, who are nearly 5 and nearly 6, were outside playing. They were nominally climbing a tree, and didn't notice what I did from my vantage point on the porch: a boy from our neighbor's house watching them longingly. He made the progression from neighbor's yard, to the ditch in front of our house, to the street at the end of our driveway (we live on a quiet-ish road). It was then that Things 1 & 2 noticed them. 

Thing 1: Hey! You shouldn't stand in the road!! It's dangerous!!
Thing 2 (kindly): Are you lost? Did you house burn down?

 
Lover invited the boy to come into the yard, and Things 1 & 2 promptly incorporated him into a game of hide and seek. At one point, Thing 1 went racing by and I stopped her.

Me: Do you know what that boy's name is yet?
Thing 1: I think Mark or Brian sounds nice.

I wonder at what age we start thinking that names are important and assume that people walking by are not refugees from burning buildings.

18 comments:

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

Oh goodness. Children are too funny! Thanks for sharing. Had me busting a gut just now. :)

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

HAHAHA! OMG, I love the assumptions!

Sherry Dale Rogers said...

LOL,,so funny. Kids are so comical. Love it.

Ella Press said...

Aw that is so sweet!
LOL

Mel said...

Too cute! I love how kids can always surprise us. I never knew how much fun they could be until I had one of my own.

Crystal Cook said...

Hahaha! That is so cute, and too funny. Kids are the best :)

BrittLit said...

Cute.

Jessica said...

Aw that is so cute! That's why I work with kids, they are just so innocent and adorable sometimes :).

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

LOL! Names are so not important at that age. Once my son met a kid at the park and I asked what his name was. He said, "Marcus, but everybody calls me Mark" to which my boy replied, "Well, my name is Xander, but everybody calls me Mark too". :b

Chloe Mendez said...

My friend Laura and I were reading this, and she says "That's pretty funny, actually." I think the age is somewhere above eight, because my little brother still acts like this.

Catherine Denton said...

Too cute. I love how they included him on the spot.
Winged Writer

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

Wait, we're supposed to STOP doing those things? Oh! That explains why I'm socially incompetent at times. :)

Jonathon Arntson said...

Children are weird animals! Yet, no one puts them in cages...

Em said...

Love it! So cute. ♥

Chloe Mendez said...

I don't know, I saw a commercial where a lady had her son in a cage pretending to be a dog. I think it was for Boost Mobile, where they were at an airport or something.

Donna Gambale said...

You can't make that stuff up.

Jonathon Arntson said...

Chloe - That commercial is Boost! It made me laugh because it was so creepy.

Alison's Book Marks said...

Love it! I've seen similar scenes played out with my own boys. I love the innocence of kids just wanting to play with other kids - no pretense, no agenda, no "playdate" required. Neighborhood kids playing hide-and-seek. It's the way childhood should be.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...