Thursday, May 13, 2010

Three Things on a Thursday: The Virginia Library visit edition

1. I can't remember if I blogged that I'd be at the Salem Church branch of the Central Rappahannock Regional Library (that's near Fredericksburg, VA), doing a writer and reader Q & A next Monday. Details here.

2. I went to the National Gallery of Art and the Phillips Collection with my friend Nicole Caulfield (a great artist herself) yesterday. I am a tremendous John Singer Sargent fangirl and they had a Sargent I hadn't seen in person before, so I was suitably twitter-pated, as my father would say. We also had this conversation with one of the docents, who was standing by the door with a pensive expression:

Docent: Ladies, we have a 12 inch rule. That means you have to stand at least 12 inches from the paintings. We do that to prevent Accidental Touching.
Me: If there was going to be any touching going on here, it sure as heck wouldn't be accidental. I'd be hugging and licking this thing.
Docent: . . .
Nicole: *smiles like a sane person*
Docent: I think that is the first time I have heard that.

I am an excellent person to go to museums with. Don't I look tame?

3. I have not forgotten about the suggested blog topics. I will tackle the first of them presently. Possibly tomorrow. I am working on Super Secret Project which is thrilling me beyond belief, so I am preoccupied.


3b. You guys are wonderful and insane for passing the Linger trailer around as per the contest. THANK YOU. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a chance to win the piece of art at left, a LINGER advanced copy, a signed Linger dust jacket, and cool bling, and it ends Sunday at midnight, so there is still time to enter. Here's the livejournal version of the contest and here's the blogger one.

9 comments:

Dawn Embers said...

Awesome. I'd go to an art gallery/museum with you. Sounds fun.

And yay for secret project! I think it's becoming a popular thing to do, or it is among my writer friends and some of the ones I follow. Good luck with it.

Riv Re said...

Yup. I agree with Dawn. If you need a museum companion, give me a ring..er, e-mail.
Double yay for secret projects! Any hints?

Jonathon Arntson said...

I'm too crazy for museums, plus my voice has a natural echo so the ponderers in the Egyptian section hear far too much of my opinion on the differences in Athena's nipples from sculpture to sculpture in the Greek section.

Crystal Cook said...

Love that picture! And I'm glad you posted the link to Nicole's site, she is amazing!

You are too funny with the hugging and the licking :)

ally said...

Hahaha! It must be one heck of a trip going to a museum with you :)! Quick question... If by some chance of luck i DON'T win the contest... Would you let me turn that picture of the Shiver trailer into a poster for my room =)? *it's gorgeous!*

WildIrishRose33 said...

You're supposed to be at the Salem Church Library on Monday?!?! I was supposed to be visiting my parents in Fredericksburg next week. And I can't. :-( Wow. Now I'm even more disappointed. I used to literally live less than 2 miles away from the library.
Docents are funny. I went to the Richmond Museum a few years ago when they had the Van Gogh exhibit. They told my friend we couldn't touch the paintings "like this" and then proceeded to touch the painting. Go figure.

Caffenero said...

I like Sargent too. Last time I was in Madrid 3 years ago (Sigh :o) I visited the parallel exhibition Sargent / Sorolla @ Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum
It was amazing!

Actually with my almost 3years old child is impossible to visit museums :P
Last summer we visited the Urbino's Ducal Palace with him and it was stressful. However it is always a pleasure to see Piero della Francesca paintings, even with a little boy ;P
Have a look if you want @ http://www.palazzoducaleurbino.it (It’s my region ;P)

Silvia

Kris said...

I don't get a chance to visit museums very often. My daughter is a budding artist, so I'm thinking we'll be going to more, soon.

BTW, I'm not looking for brownie points, but I have to share how wicked awesome your book trailer is. After I posted it on my blog yesterday, I had two people mention (in person, not in "comments") how beautiful it is. And you did the music and the art and the stop animation!! You had me at the writing! Incredible. Congratulations!

Not gushing. ;)

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Hahaha!

Thanks, Kris. :)

Ally, sure!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...