Wednesday, July 14, 2010

LINGER IS OUT IN THE WILD!

So. Yesterday, LINGER officially came out in stores. I should have done my giant LINGER launch day post then, but in my defense, a) I was in North Carolina standing in the ocean and b) I really thought I'd have until next week to post something on my original release date, the 20th. So one day late. This is the one time a year when I say oh please if you are going to go buy LINGER at some point do it now because first week sales are like the first day of mother's breastmilk. Which is to say, the most filled with vitamins or whatever. I'm not sure where I was going with that metaphor. But . . . the point is, it's out nearly everywhere in the U.S. and gettin' there in Canada -- and will be out on the 20th in the U.K.

(I should also mention that I stopped at several stores on the way to Nags Head on Monday and Tuesday, and signed books, so if you're in those areas looking for signed copies, they have 'em. Borders and B& N in Newport News, Barnes and Noble in Chesapeake, Barnes and Noble in Hampton, and the Barnes and Noble in Norfolk. I feel I have forgotten a Borders in there somewhere . . . )

So I was not sure what I was going to do as my official launch post. Then I thought, you know what, we're gonna do a timeline (this is probably because I just created a timeline for FOREVER). From the conception of baby LINGER to its birth.



December 2008: brainstorming begins having concluded edits on SHIVER.

December 9, 2008: I decide that Cole's character looks like Kurt Cobain.

December 10, 2008: Cole's character comes into focus. I want him to be Cole Saint-something. Tessa (Gratton) suggests "claire"

January 1, 2009: writing begins.

January 16, 2009: An 11 page draft features a tiny Cole scene, but no Isabel. The first chapter starts with "Day 90" as it was originally supposed to count down to the end.

January 19, 2009: A 17 page draft sent to Tessa. Subject of email “the latest suckfest.”

January 28, 2009: I decide that Cole's character looks like Henry Cavill.

February 21, 2009: Another draft sent to Tessa, this one 88 pages long. Entire contents of e-mail: “This will need to be edited SO DAMN MUCH.”

February 21, 2009: excerpt of chat with Tessa

me: especially since once again Cole is naked
 
 Tess: has he had clothes on at all?

 me: (with Isabel this time)
 
Tess
: heh
 
me
: He has worn clothing, twice.

Tess: good puppy


March 16, 2009: I decide Cole's character looks like James Franco.

April 16, 2009: A 70,000 word draft sent to both Brenna (Yovanoff) and Tessa. I note: “But on the other hand, there are massive massive massive holes in there that I already know of and need to go back and fill.”

April 18, 2009:  E-mail sent to Tessa. Subject line: “friggin . . .” Excerpt: “It becomes painfully obvious that I have built my snowman in the wrong order -- I have the head-sized ball in the middle.”

April 21, 2009: At 1 a.m. Finished draft sent to editor Mixtape (David Levithan), Tessa, Brenna, and my sister.

April 22, 2009: At 7:46 a.m., e-mail from my sister. “Oh Maggie. It’s. Perfect.”

May 14, 2009: Editorial call with David; edits begin.

June 22, 2009: Me, during edits, finally watching it come into focus. Excerpt from chat with Tessa:

me: awwww
  I'm awwwwing over my own damn scene
  I'm ashamed o fmyself.
 Tess: lol
 me: EmoPet rocks!
  well, fingerpicks his guitar
  but it's as close as he will get to rocking.
 Tess: awwww, yeah


July 6, 2009: big edit done, line edits begin

July 24, 2009: We receive the rough cover art for Linger (which you guys might see next week when I interview the cover designer!)

coffee potAugust 1, 2009: I receive a red coffee pot from editor David in honor of finishing the novel. (readers of Linger will understand why)

September 1, 2009: Scholastic Audio drops me an e-mail to ask if I'd like to be part of picking out additional narrators for the Linger audiobook, which is a question too obvious to answer.

September 9, 2009: Copy-edits arrive!

September 19, 2009: Copy-edits done!

September 28, 2009: I get a cover flat. It's green!

October 12, 2009: I get page proofs to look at -- basically, the pages set up as they will be printed, and my last chance to change tiny things.

November 19, 2009: ARCs! Just in time for my birthday.

February 12, 2010: Linger audio auditions go down. Dan Bittner, otherwise known as the sex-on-a-stick voice of Cole, was originally auditioning for the new voice of Sam, but I said whooooa nelly, that is Cole. And so he was.

May 10, 2010: I complete the Linger trailer.


My nest of LingersJuly 2, 2010: My author copies of LINGER arrive. I start panicking and making lots of baked goods to distract myself from my release day.

July 13, 2010: LINGER's release date!


I still am totally not ready for this. Ask me again on the 20th if it's sunk in yet.

24 comments:

DJ's Life in Fiction said...

Congratulations and I am so excited for Linger (aka An Amazingly Amazing/Beautiful Sequel) to be out in the wild and for people to drool over! Your words continue to inspire readers and writers. I hope you know how much we all love you. :-)

Anonymous said...

cant wait a yr ... cried at end its just so sad but pretty ... ur such a great author

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Wooohoo! Love the timeline--congratulations---Linger rocks!

Crystal Cook said...

Very cool look at your process with the timeline. I went out and got Linger yesterday, like as soon as I had fed the kids and packed us in the car, because I'm impatient like that. I love it Maggie, I'm only on page 30 but I love it. :)

Anonymous said...

Any word on when the Fountain books are coming?

Elli S. said...

That was a GREAT read! I loved Shiver and I loved Linger. I locked myself in my room and didn't stop reading it. Wonderful work!

I hope life can only get better said...

EEEKKKK...can not wait to get my copy! Ordered from Amazon, but I am so sad all these people have read it before me. I am sure it will not disapoint. love oyur work so much Maggie!!!

kit said...

I got it yesterday! the Green ink turns black in the right light so I'm fine with reading it (Fine? Try I'm on page 188) I love it so far and despise cole and have many many linger related posts to post on my blog as soon as I finish reading and write a review. Maggie your words reminded me that A. I will find my soul mate sooner or later and B. THIS is why I love YA romance
so thank you thank you thank you OH!! BIG question!!!

The songs you wrote for Shiver and linger is there anyway I can put them on my Ipod nano!?!?!

I LOVE SAM!!!

this is a book I want to sleep with
yeah its THAT good

(I wanted to comment so so so much on this so...I have to go back up and finish reading the post ^^;)
Also I just noticed yesterday that shiver is written in dark blue ink XD
you make me want to blog at 11:00PM at night
I love this series!!!

itsmefaith said...

Awwwww Congrats!
I saw Linger in the store the other day and it took all my will not to snatch it up and buy it... I ordered it from the Fountain Bookstore autographed though. The impatience is eating me alive. Have you found out yet?! I'm sooooo excited!!!

Dawn Embers said...

Congratulations!

That timeline was fascinating. It's interesting to read the progress a book goes through from different authors.

JSavant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JSavant said...

Ah, the timeline was AMAZING. I find it pretty fascinating that you remembered so many fine details. :D (Loved that you were gifted a read coffee pot too for a job well done!)

Also, I have to say: I loved LINGER to pieces. I enjoyed SHIVER very much -- but LINGER was just. . .there are no words to describe how wonderful I thought it was. Most books I read end up drifting to the edges of my subconscious -- but not so with LINGER. I have been thinking about those characters constantly since I read the ending. I can't wait for FOREVER to see how you wrap it all together. (Still keeping my fingers crossed for a golden yellow cover and bronze-brown ink!!)

Zoƫ Marriott said...

Congratulations! When Linger hits the NYT List, please take another picture of your expression. The last one made me snorfle.

Side Note: I've finally given in and ordered the US hardback versions of Linger and Shiver. British paperbacks just NOT as pretty. Can't wait to see the blue and green ink *claps hands*

Donna Gambale said...

Love the IMs and emails -- reminds me of when Frankie and I go back and forth. Congrats!!!!! And I agree with Zoe on the picture thing -- your expressions are hilarious.

Solvang Sherrie said...

I loved reading that time line. Congrats on releasing this baby to the world. Here's hoping there's plenty of breast milk to go round :)

WildIrishRose33 said...

Aw. It's been quite a process. I really loved the book. Shiver was amazing. One of those stories that you're like "wow, can anything really top this" and then Linger comes out and you're like "wow that was awesome." I was in suspense the entire book.

cynthial11 said...

Congrats on the release of Linger, I love it so much. Thanks for writing amazing books!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Yikes! Lotsa comments! *grin*

First of all, thank you!

Second, Fountain Bookstore shipped books yesterday and today -- if you ordered a SHIVER along with your Linger, SHIVER is backordered (Scholastic's reprinted) so they'll be a few days longer.

Third, yes, you can download the music I wrote for Shiver and Linger at the site: here

Fourth . . . thank you thank you thank you!

beth said...

Thank you Maggie! I'm so excited! I was going crazy waiting for Linger!!!! YEIGH!!!

Also, I didn't know you're a member of yalitchat.ning. That was cool to find out. FYI: I'm doing a TY note to you for the revision posts on my blog tomorrow. I'll send you the link!

Jen the bibliophile said...

I don't even drink coffee and I seriously wanted to buy a red coffee pot after reading that book. Actually I wanted to buy a Sam after I read that book, but I don't think I will find him in aisle 10 at WalMart. Too Bad...

Jen
In the Closet With a Bibliophile

Marn said...

I loved Linger! It was really good. I read it in a day I couldn't put it down. So worth the wait.

A quarter of the way in my mind was playing tricks making the green ink look black, but it was definitely still green. Weirdness.

Well I'm off to invent a time machine so I can jump into the future and read forever.

Maggie Stiefvater said...

You're right, Jen, I don't think Sam strikes me as a Walmart kind of guy. But the coffeepot . . . I don't drink coffee either, did you knw?

Marn, I'm so glad that you loved it!

Beth -- please do!

BenCracknell said...

I had no idea David Levithan edited Linger! This is so cool; two of my most favourite writers worked together on one project!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Yes indeed, Ben! David = Editor MixTape.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...