Friday, July 9, 2010

Linger Release Date Moved. Also, Sam Sing-a-long

This post may be incoherent.

I made the perhaps ill-thought-out decision to take Loki, my '73 Camaro to Northern Virginia today, and got stuck in traffic for several hours. In 100 degree weather. In the car with no air-conditioning*. It was, in fact, so hot, and I was, in fact, stuck in traffic for so long that I actually got a tan inside my car because the windows were rolled down. I have the lines to prove it. Don't try this at home, folks. There are easier ways.

Anyway. Three things.

First of all, and most important, the Linger release date HAS MOVED. From the 20th to the 13th of July. In fact, you can already find it in millions of Borders stores and a few Barnes and Noble stores. Things I also know: the Kindle date has moved. Amazon's date has moved. Indie stores' date has moved. Canada's date has moved too (supposedy). Audiobook date has also moved. The Linger launch party date is staying the same. Things I do not know: when Fountain Bookstore is shipping their signed and doodled in copies. And also, if the UK date has moved. I will report on such things as I discover them.

Second
of all. The Sam narrator actually sings Sam songs in the Linger audiobook. I don't normally like audio books (I was ambivalent about the Shiver one, even), but I gave the Linger audiobook a whirl because I'd helped pick the three new narrator voices (Cole, Isabel, and a new Sam) and I wanted to know how they did. First of all, the Cole narrator, Dan Bittner, sounds like sex on a stick. Second of all, the Isabel narrator is funny. Third of all, the SAM NARRATOR SINGS. Did I mention this? Yes. I did. The audio producers had asked me to record myself singing the tunes I had in my head for the songs Sam wrote, which I did -- though I am a musician, not a singer, thank you very much, and I thought they would laugh at the tunelessness of them. But . . . they used them. And Sam indeed sings. I had a small meltdown last night when I realized this. It was the best day ever.

Third of all, it's Linger music time. This feels a little silly as I am now totally out of Fridays since the book apparently comes out NEXT TUESDAY.

So I guess I will cut to the chase and post the song that I listened to over and over and over again while brainstorming for Linger; this is the song I used the absolute most to establish the mood I wanted. I've posted it here on the blog before, but here it is again. (as usual, if you love it, buy it legally and save a puppy).

"Wash Away" by Matt Costa. This is also the voice I picture Sam having when he sings. For the record.


I can't believe that Linger is finally here. I just can't. I'm going to go make more brownies. Maybe more cookies as well. I just bought a pie on the way home, too.

I can't believe it.



*despite my declarations that I would get A/C installed in it nearly a year ago

28 comments:

Dawn Embers said...

Yay for the book! The audio sounds fun too.

Is there a link between books coming out and baked goods? Curious. hehehe

DJ's Life in Fiction said...

I'm not normally one for audiobooks, but I really want to hear the new Sam sing. Congrats on the release of Linger! People are going to love it and be left wanting even more. :-)

JSavant said...

Oh, yay! I'll be off to scout out for Linger soon, then! :D (I would love to check out the Linger audiobook as well since it sounds so lovely. . .)

Brooke said...

So excited! Linger come will now come out on my birthday. How awesome is that? I'm going to celebrate my big day by buying Linger and reading The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. :]

Faith Anne said...

Oh shoot I can't believe it changed!!! The problem is that I DID order from the Fountain bookstore, so I will have to anticipate packages in the mail every day!!! Please find out ASAP... The waiting might kill me :D

Jonathon Arntson said...

Matt Costa makes me happy no matter what's going on in my life. Thanks for reminding me.

WildIrishRose33 said...

When I fix my stupid radio in my van I'll have to buy the audio book. :-) Trying to take my time reading this one. I went through Shiver way too fast, it was over to soon. So I'm pacing myself with this book.

I sympathize about the traffic. Living in Fredericksburg until 2008 I was fairly safe from TOO too bad traffic, but Rt 3.... was AWFUL. Living 5 minutes away from Central Park and having the drive take 30 minutes was RIDICULOUS!

Miss Scarlet said...

I actually thought of you yesterday and hoped you had gotten out of NOVA before the Friday traffic started...but, then again, I'm pretty sure that starts on Wednesday.

kit said...

Squee! Squee! squee! I sqciked so so so much when I read this omgosh the 13th! I HAVE TO GET IT!!!! Have to!

wowwowowowowowowowwowowowowowowwowowwo

So excited! and now to celerbrate I'm defently going to have to make a "Runs with wolves of mercy falls" shirt AND Up my posting of my fave cuples AND bring shiver with me and write a long elaborant post on why sam and graces love Rocks!

*Huggles*

YES!!!! *does happy dance*

did I mention squee?

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

This is such a good song--very fitting. Don't panic--Linger is great and everyone will love it--especially Cole and Isabel--who I ADORE now. The audio was soooo fab, I cried when I got to the end--amazing, plus your music plays at the end--best audio book ever! Now I just need my hardcopy of Linger!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Ohmigosh I cannot tell you how much I hate the traffic on 95 -- because going south to Richmond it's not nearly as bad. And it starts earlier every day, it feels like!

Frankie, aw, thanks about the Linger audio! :)

Brooke, happy early birthday!

Faith Anne, I'll figure out as soon as I can -- I've emailed to ask!

Hahaha, Kit! Sounds fabulous!

And Dawn, yes, I get neurotic when books come out and neuroticism makes me bake . . .

Elli S. said...

OHMYGOODNESS!!!

*updates Linger release countdown on laptop background*

I am SO excited for the Linger release!!! I wish I lived near you, but sadly I live in the midwest and that's not exactly popular-place-for-book-signings.

EEEEEEEEEPPPP!!! Can't wait!!!!

Sharon said...

When you tweeted that Sam sang in the audiobook, I just couldn't help myself. I downloaded ASAP, and preceeded to ignore my husband and three and one year old children until I finsihed it. I usually don't love audiobooks, but this one was awesome! And I LOVED the Isabel narrator! She was cracking me up. Totally snarky and wonderful. Can't wait to go get my hands on the print version and live through it again. I LOVE LOVE LOVED it! Thanks, Maggie!

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Thank YOU, Sharon! I have to admit, I really, really usually don't like audio books (I'm too easily distracted). But I thought the narrators did such an amazing job of making it their own.

Amy said...

as of yesterday 7/9/10 Borders in Saratoga, NY has linger on shelves.... it looks beautiful and i totally want it.

Natalie said...

I have the Shiver audio (but don't fret I also have a hard copy (; ) and I love the narrator! I pre-ordered Linger in audio too. "Sex on a stick"... I've only heard a few that could pull that off... sounds great :) I am downloading the Sam song now!

@Sharon, I am so glad you confessed ignoring your family... I am not alone...lol

Anonymous said...

I like the song you posted. It has the same feeling as Shiver for sure.
I'm so happy that the date got moved for the release of Linger! I originally wanted to read it in book form, but now I want to hear the audio book instead, mostly because I want to know what Sam sounds like. :)

Beth said...

I went to find Linger but it hasn't made it here yet. (Which, is probably for the best since I pre-ordered a copy). I'm so excited I've been waiting since I read Shiver in Jan.

Marn said...

Yay for earlier release date!
I'm going out of town on Friday for a week and a half and realized I wouldn't be able to pick up my pre-ordered copy until I get back. But hopefully now I'll have my copy in hand before I leave :)

Donna Gambale said...

Tomorrow!!! So so happy for you. I'm totally intrigued by the Linger audio. I may need to purchase...

The Sauls Family said...

My preorder from Amazon is still showing a release date of the 20th! I cancelled that order and reordered, hoping it would show the new date, but no luck. :(

Melissa said...

Why is Amazon still showing July 20th???? I am leaving on a cruise and I might have to break down and buy a hard copy as I usually read on my Kindle. I might buy the audio instead just to hear sex on a stick.....

beth said...

I just got an email from Fountain. I talked to the lady at the bookstore earlier today and she said because of the early release date Maggie promised to come sign like a crazy person. Thanks Maggie! :D We appreciate it!

kit said...

So I just got it! and the green of the words is eye catching but low and behold once my eyes adjusted to the color I was fine and I won't go color blind or anything (I just noticed Shiver is in a dark blue I've had that book for 10 months and never noticed till now XD)

beth said...

Kit, everyone seems to have blue words in Shiver but me! I'm so jealous!

kim said...

I'm all about audio books, it's the only way I have time to "read" . just downloaded it, can't wait to listen!
k

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Faith Anne and Beth, yes, I signed like a crazy person last week and so they should have all mostly shipped out, I believe!!

mira said...

wow, reallllllly??????????? I can't wait to read this book! When I get it, it will totally blow my mind to a gluey paste. yep. This song is really good by the way. I think I'll get it from Itunes.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...