Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Glamorous Life of an Author

So yesterday, after deleting 1,600 words from my current manuscript (the 1,600 I'd written the day before), I decided to make Tibetan Butter Tea for research purposes. It's a sort of tea that is normally made with Yak Milk* and Yak Butter** and drank by enthusiastic Tibetans. Rumor has it they drink 40 cups a day.

Before you ask, no, Secret Novel is not set in Tibet, or anywhere near Tibet.

*I've learned that a Yak is actually the male of the species. A female yak is, hysterically, a Nak. So there is no such thing as Yak Milk.
**Or Yak Butter. At least not that you'd want to cook with.

Those of you who follow me on twitter will already know what went down. I boiled the water. Simmered the tea bag in the water for several long minutes. Added salt, milk, and butter (Not Yak butter. Or Nak. Which I understand changes the flavor.)(I think positively). Beat the hell out of it.

The websites all told me that Tibetan Butter Tea was best drank as hot as possible. So I sat down with it at my desk and looked at it. I really didn't want to try it. But I did. Basically, it was like drinking a scone. Or like licking a piece of buttered toast after its fallen on the floor. Or like drowning in the ocean, if the ocean were made of butter. And that was while it was hot.

You know what I have to say for it, though? That butter tea has an aftertaste that just won't quit. There are government applications for this stuff, i know it.

And in the end, it all boiled down to two sentences in Secret Novel that may or may not make it to revisions.

I tell myself it's character-building.***

***No Naks were harmed in the making of this blog post.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...