Monday, November 15, 2010

In Which Maggies Binge On Books

Do you ever have that problem where you have unread books on your shelf but you're dying for a different sort of novel to read? You know, you have a bunch of lovely YA novels, but you really want to read an excellent adult mainstream novel with a touch of the paranormal? And then you go and spend $216.00 on Barnes and Noble's website? Well, actually you spend $201 but then you realize that you have 13 items in your cart so you ask yourself if you're a superstitious person, decide that you aren't, but then add another book to the cart just to make sure? 

That is the problem I had yesterday. So I asked readers on twitter and Facebook for suggestions for adult mainstream novels with a touch of the paranormal -- no genre fiction (so no Charlaine Harris, Kelly Armstrong, etc.) and no YA (so no Richelle Mead, Becca Fitzpatrick, etc.) I wanted something really particular. And I got a load of suggestions. And I was looking at the reader questions that I have left to answer, and one of them was: "Any books you planning on reading?"

Another one was: what do you recommend I read? And that answer, as always, that I add all of my 5 star reads to my Goodreads account here (I'm very picky, so the list grows slowly).

So I thought I'd share what I bought. If you've read any of them, I'd love to hear about it.

1. THE GIRL WITH GLASS FEET, by Ali Shaw.

2. THE GHOST WRITER by John Harwood

3. THE HOUSE OF LOST SOULS by F. G. Cottam

4. IN THE COUNTRY OF THE YOUNG, by Lisa Carey

5. THE STAND, by Stephen King (yes, I realize this is genre, but I have never read any King and decided it was time to try it.

6. GARDEN SPELLS, by Sarah Addison Alle

7. LULLABY by Chuck Palahniuk

8. HOUSE OF LEAVES, by Mark Danielewski

9. ANGELICA by Arthur Phillips

10. THE MERCY OF THIN AIR, by Ronlyn Domingue

11. THE HOUSE ON THE STRAND, by Daphne du Maurier*

(items 12 and 13 were a cookbook and a science kit. Both things every kitchen needs).

*You'll notice that a lot of these are links to used items, which is a Secret Peek into How Maggie Often Buys Books. In lieu of regular library usage (ours is a half hour away and my travel schedule makes it tough to get things back on time), I will often buy books used and then, if I love them, but new copies (often to give away, too). I'm a big fan of rewarding authors or musicians with royalties if I love their books, what can I say.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...