Monday, January 3, 2011

Maggie's Best 15 Songs of 2010

So those of you who read this blog regularly will know that I have a bit of a music problem. Namely, that I buy a lot of it. I listen to music from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep. Anyway, last year I put together a blog post with a few of my favorites I'd found over the course of the year, and readers keep asking me for more recommendations, so I'll do it again. Unfortunately, I seem to have bought 741 songs in 2010, so it was hard to narrow it down. I'll do my best to keep this short . . .

As usual, if you love any of these things, do the right thing, go and spend the $1 on iTunes or Amazon or a music purveying man on a street corner. $1 is really not that much . . . unless you buy 740 more of them.


First song bought in 2011. “Samson” by Regina Spektor.


1. Best Song to Listen to When Leaving On A Month-Long European Book Tour Away From Everyone You Love


“You Will Leave a Mark” - A Silent Film




("Swallow You" - Ruse, "Dead American Writers" - Tired Pony)


2. Best Song to Listen to On the Plane Back from A Month-Long European Book Tour Away From Everyone You Love


“Welcome Home” - Radical Face



(“Heimkehrerlied” - Peterlicht, "Winter Song" - Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson, “Lille” - Lisa Hannigan, “Offenes Ende” - Peterlicht)


3. Best song to listen to when you’re laying on the floor of a porch in New Orleans with your best friend, thinking that you’ll never write again after you’ve thrown out the entire manuscript of FOREVER right before your deadline

“Never Bloom Again” - The Perishers



(“How to Save a Life” - The Fray, “New Low” - Middle Class Rut)


4. Best Song to listen to while driving over 65 miles an hour.

“Talk Amongst Yourselves” - Grand National





(“Loud Pipes” - Ratatat, “Derty” - Ronald Jenkees, “Drum Song” - The Temper Trap)


5. Best song to listen to after getting crushing news.

“Light Outside” - Wakey! Wakey!



(“Here Before” - Lissie, “First Floor People” - Barcelona)



6. Best song to inspire you to write a Secret Novel.

“An Toll Dubh” - Runrig



(“The Banshee” - Matt Molloy, “The Blood of Cuchullain” - Mychael & Jeff Danna)


7. Best song to listen to when it’s snowing and you’re writing a Secret Novel instead of wrapping Christmas presents.

“La Fontaine - Connie Dover”



(“Electric Landlady" - Kila, “Tuuli” - Hedningarna)


8. Best song recommended to me by a reader.


“Resurrection Fern” - Iron & Wine



(“When I Decide” - My Terrible Friend, “Far Away” - Jose Gonzalez)


9. Best Song to inspire wickedness.

“Sinister Kid”  - The Black Keys



(“Crying Lightning” - The Arctic Monkeys, “How The Leopard Got Its Spots” - Portugal the Man)


9a. Best Song to loiter with.

“Struggle” - Ringside.



(“Mountain Man” - Crash Kings, “I’m Good, I’m Gone” - Lykke Li)


10. Best song to celebrate your novel debuting at #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List

“Walking the Dog” - Fun!



(“Pull My Heart Away” - Jack Penate, “Hurricane Drunk” - Florence & the Machines)


11. Best Song your friends have never heard of.

“The Gospel Song” - Magnet



(“Lately” - The Helio Sequence, “Hi-Fi Goon” - Throw Me The Statue, “Home” - Jenny O)


12. A song with over 100 plays in my iTunes

“We Insist” - Zoe Keating



(“Arrival to Earth” - Steve Jablonsky, “Eyes on Fire” - Blue Foundation)


13. Best song to frighten your inlaws with.

“Id Engager” - Of Montreal



(“I Was Born (A Unicorn)” - The Unicorns, “Rome” - Yeasayer)


14. Best song to play when your mom is over.

“Honey Bee” - Zee Avi



(“Little Kids” - Kings of Convenience, “Hey Trouble” - The Concretes)


15. Song that suddenly made FOREVER make sense.

“Comes and Goes (In Waves)” - Greg Laswell



(“I And Love And You” - The Avett Brothers, “Sandra’s Theme” - Danny Elfman)


Last song bought in 2010.

“Drive it Like You Stole It” - The Glitch Mob.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...