So those of you who read this blog regularly will know that I have a bit of a music problem. Namely, that I buy a lot of it. I listen to music from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep. Anyway, last year I put together a blog post with a few of my favorites I'd found over the course of the year, and readers keep asking me for more recommendations, so I'll do it again. Unfortunately, I seem to have bought 741 songs in 2010, so it was hard to narrow it down. I'll do my best to keep this short . . .
As usual, if you love any of these things, do the right thing, go and spend the $1 on iTunes or Amazon or a music purveying man on a street corner. $1 is really not that much . . . unless you buy 740 more of them.
First song bought in 2011. “Samson” by Regina Spektor.
1. Best Song to Listen to When Leaving On A Month-Long European Book Tour Away From Everyone You Love
“You Will Leave a Mark” - A Silent Film
("Swallow You" - Ruse, "Dead American Writers" - Tired Pony)
2. Best Song to Listen to On the Plane Back from A Month-Long European Book Tour Away From Everyone You Love
“Welcome Home” - Radical Face
(“Heimkehrerlied” - Peterlicht, "Winter Song" - Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson, “Lille” - Lisa Hannigan, “Offenes Ende” - Peterlicht)
3. Best song to listen to when you’re laying on the floor of a porch in New Orleans with your best friend, thinking that you’ll never write again after you’ve thrown out the entire manuscript of FOREVER right before your deadline
“Never Bloom Again” - The Perishers
(“How to Save a Life” - The Fray, “New Low” - Middle Class Rut)
4. Best Song to listen to while driving over 65 miles an hour.
“Talk Amongst Yourselves” - Grand National
(“Loud Pipes” - Ratatat, “Derty” - Ronald Jenkees, “Drum Song” - The Temper Trap)
5. Best song to listen to after getting crushing news.
“Light Outside” - Wakey! Wakey!
(“Here Before” - Lissie, “First Floor People” - Barcelona)
6. Best song to inspire you to write a Secret Novel.
“An Toll Dubh” - Runrig
(“The Banshee” - Matt Molloy, “The Blood of Cuchullain” - Mychael & Jeff Danna)
7. Best song to listen to when it’s snowing and you’re writing a Secret Novel instead of wrapping Christmas presents.
“La Fontaine - Connie Dover”
(“Electric Landlady" - Kila, “Tuuli” - Hedningarna)
8. Best song recommended to me by a reader.
“Resurrection Fern” - Iron & Wine
(“When I Decide” - My Terrible Friend, “Far Away” - Jose Gonzalez)
9. Best Song to inspire wickedness.
“Sinister Kid” - The Black Keys
(“Crying Lightning” - The Arctic Monkeys, “How The Leopard Got Its Spots” - Portugal the Man)
9a. Best Song to loiter with.
“Struggle” - Ringside.
(“Mountain Man” - Crash Kings, “I’m Good, I’m Gone” - Lykke Li)
10. Best song to celebrate your novel debuting at #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List
“Walking the Dog” - Fun!
(“Pull My Heart Away” - Jack Penate, “Hurricane Drunk” - Florence & the Machines)
11. Best Song your friends have never heard of.
“The Gospel Song” - Magnet
(“Lately” - The Helio Sequence, “Hi-Fi Goon” - Throw Me The Statue, “Home” - Jenny O)
12. A song with over 100 plays in my iTunes
“We Insist” - Zoe Keating
(“Arrival to Earth” - Steve Jablonsky, “Eyes on Fire” - Blue Foundation)
13. Best song to frighten your inlaws with.
“Id Engager” - Of Montreal
(“I Was Born (A Unicorn)” - The Unicorns, “Rome” - Yeasayer)
14. Best song to play when your mom is over.
“Honey Bee” - Zee Avi
(“Little Kids” - Kings of Convenience, “Hey Trouble” - The Concretes)
15. Song that suddenly made FOREVER make sense.
“Comes and Goes (In Waves)” - Greg Laswell
(“I And Love And You” - The Avett Brothers, “Sandra’s Theme” - Danny Elfman)
Last song bought in 2010.
“Drive it Like You Stole It” - The Glitch Mob.