Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Opposite of Cynical

Okay, so - so - so. Every year that I publish a novel, I think that I'll be all cool and suave and cynical about it. Cover - done it! Advanced Review Copies - done it! See it on shelves - done it!

But it never seems to work out that way. Every year I get ulcertastic before the book comes out, and every year I have that glow of signing the first copy, and every year, my first professional review makes me bite my nails, hoping it's good.

And this year, for The Scorpio Races, unbelievably, I have five starred reviews. I am not only not inured to the excitement of starred reviews, but the news of getting the fifth star left me absolutely useless for the rest of the day. I mean, I thought this book was the best thing I'd ever written, but I never thought that I . . .

insert more ellipses here to stand for my blinky eyes.

★ “Masterful. Like nothing else out there now.”
-Kirkus, starred review

★ “a study of courage and loyalty tested . . . an utterly compelling read.”
-Publishers Weekly, starred review

★ “A book with cross-appeal to lovers of fantasy, horse stories, romance, and action-adventure, this seems to have a shot at being a YA blockbuster.”
-Booklist, starred review

★ “gets better and better…all the way, in fact, to best.”
-Horn Book, starred review'

I can't quote the last one yet, from School Library Journal, because the issue's not out yet, but . . . man. I have to say that the Horn Book one has a ring to it. I like saying it at the dinner table. In the car. While doing laundry.

Which I guess is the opposite of cynical.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...